Get ready. What do you want ? Are you ready ? Have you imagined yourself getting what you want ? How does it feel ? Getting ready means doing everything, in the meantime, that is neccessary to have that thing you want. The preparations must be made. I might add, you must have gratitude for what you already have. For without gratitude, there is not the foundation for appreciating or meriting what you want.
First You must do the work, the manual work and the mental work. What if I got that big museum show tomorrow, am I ready ?
Next. What if I got accepted to graduate school ? Am I ready, do I have room in my life ?
What if I got a book deal tomorrow, do I have everything organized ?
How am I going to get that museum to invite me to do an installation ? Have I made the plan, written the concept, finished the pieces, have I showed my plan to experts for input and suggestions, have I asked the museum ?
Am I ready for political change? Have I spoken out? Have I mobilised? Have I made the neccessary changes in my attitudes, beliefs and perceptions? Can I see and believe in a better, new future?
There are some exercises you can do. First, write down your goal, now try to reverse engineer that goal. Write down all the steps it will take between where you are now and where you want to be. Look into growth mindset exercises and teachings.
Here’s some questions to ask yourself. Copy these print them out and write down your answers.
- Instead of asking yourself why is this happening to me? Ask, how is this happening for me? What can my current situation teach me?
- Write out the steps it will take to achieve your goal.
- Why did you choose this goal? What is the feeling acheiving this goal will produce ?
- What detective work can I do? Who can I question?
- Who can give me feedback or mentor me?
- If I were to draw a blueprint for my success, what would I include ?
- What baby steps can I take today, this week, this month?
- What are the possible roadblocks that could get in the way?
- When coming up to a roadblock, what would be a possible detour? Is there another direction to take? Is there something else to work on until the road opens up?
- Make a list of recent accomplishments. What did this teach me?
- Instead of thinking about mistakes or failures, can I look at setbacks as important lessons? What important lessons have I learned recently ?
- What is my current state of mind? How can I improve it or change it?
- What did I do today? What can I plan on for tomorrow ?
- What are some bad habits I have that get in the way of my success? What are some good habits I have? How did I develop my good habits? My bad habits ? How can I get started on one good habit?
Get to work and get ready!!
Do the next RIGHT thing.
Sometimes it’s hard to know what to do right now.
Do you want to change the world, change your life, or just solve a big personal issue? When you look at all the obstacles, the challenges, the tasks; it’s just too much. You are paralyzed by the enormity of it all. But you don’t have to feel this way.
Just pick one thing to work on today, right now. Do it, do something small. It might be just washing the dishes or making a phone call. Take a deep breath, decide what’s right and do something.
After that pick the next right thing to do. I’ll be cheering you on.